Public Relations Manager
What: 750th Little Rock Animal Village Dog
To Board the Rescue Waggin’
When: Tuesday, July 17th - 10:00 a.m.
Where: Little Rock Animal Village – 4500 S. Kramer St.
The PetSmart Charities® Rescue Waggin’® program saves lives by relocating adoptable dogs and puppies from overcrowded shelters to destination shelters where they are in demand. The Little Rock Animal Village is a proud partner in this program and on Tuesday will board its 750th dog on the Rescue Waggin’.
LRAV participates in this program each and every month. LRAV dogs are selected to "ride the Waggin" through an evaluation process that ensures a mild disposition with people, food and other animals. Selected animals must be friendly, social and display no forms of aggression. Arkansas state law requires any dog or cat released from a shelter in Pulaski County to be spayed or neutered before leaving. So, all Rescue Waggin’ animals are fully vetted and sterilized before the trip.
The Rescue Wagon program has two trucks that come to Little Rock on a monthly basis. Some trips carry as many as 50 dogs, but a normal LRAV load is 32-35. Animals leave LRAV and are transported to receiving shelters all over the middle and eastern US, including Michigan, Missouri, Tennessee, and more!
Rescue Waggin’ Program Fast Facts
- The Rescue Waggin' program has helped save the lives of more than 50,000 dogs since we began operations in 2004
- It currently operates in the East Coast, Midwest, Great Plains and South Central regions of the U.S.
The Rescue Waggin’ program is comprised of three parts:
- A pet transport program: Relocation of dogs and puppies from areas of high homeless-pet overpopulation to shelters in areas where adoptable dogs are in demand. This program operates under professionally-developed industry standards for originating and receiving shelters, spay/neuter and animal health practices and humane transport.
- Capacity-building grants: This funding helps expand local spay and neuter services for dogs and cats and improve shelter facilities, operations and adoptions for agencies that send dogs and puppies on the transport vehicles.
- Funding and professional consultation: This support helps improve shelter facilities and operations for participating animal-welfare agencies.