Commercial Construction Information
Minimum Requirements for Drawings. It is the policy of the Building Codes Division to require all building plans to have drawings and specifications prepared by qualified design professionals as indicated below, and subject to the discretion of the Plans Examiner.
- In the case of buildings or structures of Group E - Educational, Group I - Institutional and Group A - Assembly occupancies and all buildings or structures three (3) stories or more in height or 5,000 square-feet in area, except one (1) and two (2)-family dwellings, such designer shall be an architect or engineer legally registered under the laws of this state, regulating this practice of architecture or engineering and shall affix his official seal to said drawings, specifications and accompanying data, 2007 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Volume II (building) Section 106.1.
- Plans and specifications for construction work exceeding $100,000 in value except residential work involving four (4) or less dwelling units, is subject to compliance with the Arkansas Architectural Act, State of Arkansas Act 1338 of 1999.
- It should be noted that the "building or structure", as stated above, shall mean all components thereof. This shall include, but not be limited to foundation, structural, architectural, mechanical, plumbing and electrical and shall also include tenant space development.
State Act 474 of 1999
"A surcharge in the amount of fifty cents ($.50) per each one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) of construction authorized on any non-residential construction permit issued by any political subdivision of this state is imposed to financially support the craft training education program." The City of Little Rock will collect this charge by the State of Arkansas on all commercial construction beginning July 30, 1999. Maximum: $1,000.
- It is important that all plans for buildings (or areas within) shall indicate how the required structural and fire resistive integrity is maintained. It is advisable and recommended to secure the services of the original designer(s) so that all life safety, and fire protective requirements are considered.
Inspections and Certificate of Occupancy
- All construction work requiring a permit shall be inspected per the 2007 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Volume II.
- As per Code Section 110 of the 2007 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Volume II, a Certificate of Occupancy is required prior to occupying a new building or any building (or part thereof) that has undergone a change of occupancy classification, use, or nature. Each individual tenant in multi-tenant buildings shall have a Certificate of Occupancy that will be issued following an approved final building inspection.
The time required to process a plan review on new projects and additions is five (5) working days. A letter of requirements will be faxed or mailed to the applicant or other designated person upon completion of the plan review. Provide complete name, address, phone number and fax number of all interested parties.
Applicant shall submit certificate or letter of approval from the Arkansas State Health Department, (501) 661-2000, for all new construction, remodeling construction or addition(s) involving installation of plumbing facilities, food service establishments and/or health service facilities.
The applicant is expected to obtain the permit and pay all fees within thirty (30) days after notification that the permit is ready for issuance.
State law requires that contractors be licensed in the State of Arkansas before bidding or performing work in excess of $20,000. For more information please contact:
Contractors Licensing Board
4100 Richards Road
North Little Rock, AR 72117
City Ordinances states that you must obtain a City Contractor's License (a.k.a. privilege, city business license) to operate within the jurisdiction of the City of Little Rock. (We do reciprocate with other cities in the State of Arkansas when the contractor has no office within the City of Little Rock.) For more information, please contact:
City of Little Rock Collector's Office
Little Rock City Hall
500 West Markham Street
Little Rock, AR 72201
All permits for construction projects are obtained by the owner, general contractor or their responsible agent(s) at:
City of Little Rock Building Codes Division
723 West Markham Street, 2nd Floor
Little Rock, AR 72201
Parties other than those who will obtain the actual permit may submit plans for review. Plan review fees are due and payable prior to any review. Permit fees are based on project valuation. See Fee Schedule on the following pages.
A review by the following departments will be required on new projects.
- Zoning and Landscaping
- Civil Engineering
- Traffic Engineering
- Little Rock Fire Department
- Little Rock Water Works
- Little Rock Wastewater
- Prior approval is required before performing construction in the districts listed below.
Capitol Zoning District Capitol Zoning Area (map)
River Market District River Market District (map)
MacArthur Park Historic District MacArthur Park (map)
Fire Districts Fire Districts (map)
Zoning Overlay Districts (map)
Special Design requirements (contact Zoning Desk (501) 371-4844)